Archive for October, 2010
It’s the end of the day, and I just learned about wearing purple for Spirit Day. My life is so busy these days I’m out of touch with most things, but this is worth mentioning (in case someone else has not heard of it).
What Is Spirit Day?
Today is Spirit Day, the day that the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation is asking people to “Go Purple” to call attention to the deaths of six teenagers who committed suicide after reportedly being taunted because they were gay.
People are wearing purple today for Spirit Day, the grassroots event to honor LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) youth and show them that life is worth living even in the face of bullying.
The movement began with high schooler Brittany McMillan in the wake of multiple teen suicides and gained support from GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) and Facebook, which also launched an anti-bullying campaign.
Nearly 67,000 people said they were ‘attending’ Spirit Day on the event’s official Facebook page.
Find out more about this day, how it can make a difference to millions of teenagers and which celebrities are participating.
More About Spirit Day
Top Searched Spirit Day Questions:
1. Why are people wearing purple today?
2. Who created the October 20 Spirit Day?
3. What does today’s Spirit Day support?
4. Who does Spirit Day honor?
5. What should Spirit Day show LGBT youth?
6. Who did GLAAD partner with for Spirit Day?
7. What is the idea behind today’s Spirit Day?
8. What celebrities are celebrating Spirit Day?
9. Does purple represent ‘spirit’ on the LGBT flag?
10. Why is Facebook working with a gay advocacy group?
11. How can I turn my Facebook and Twitter pictures purple for Spirit Day?
Where Is The Pond?
What I should ask is, “Where should it be?” I have a few plastic ‘ponds’, but I don’t know where to put them. At this point, I’m thinking I’ll try to incorporate them into my ‘enchanted forest’ somehow. I just don’t know how or where to set it up.
Fish and Flowers
Pond plants produce some of the most beautiful flowers. And, a well-kept pond can be home to fish, too. I want both. I just need to figure out where to place the pond, and how to pump the water. (My preference is to use a solar-powered pump.) Do you have any suggestions?